A home game against a Chiddingfold team that we have never managed to beat. In recent games we have started very slowly and this was spoken about before kick off. Obviously something must of struck home as in the 1st minute Sullivan Howick was inches away from a Charlie Gibson cross. Leo Lord has his shot saved a minute later as we could of been 2-0 up inside 2 minutes. Another close effort from Sullivan as Chiddingfold were chasing shadows. It was all Cranleigh with Zach Whittle narrowly shooting over from outside the box then setting up Ethan Payne whose strike was saved. Next minute and Leo was clean through with only the keeper to beat but a mis control on a bobbly pitch let him down. Our keeper hadn’t touched the ball as the defence marshalled the Chiddingfold attack. Josh Maurizi was the next Cranleigh player to miss as clean through a heavy touch meant the keeper could gather the ball at his feet.

I was starting to wonder if it was going to be one of those games with all these wasteful efforts. Finally a ball from Zach was passed across the area and as Ethan Payne looked to shoot he dummied the ball letting it through his legs to Charlie Gibson. With the defence left flat footed by Ethans dummy Charlie had time to take a touch before smashing the ball home for 1-0. Charlie Gibson was tormenting the Chiddingfold defence down the left and his cross saw Josh Maurizi hit the bar from close range. After 15 minutes Cranleigh could and probably should of been 4-5 goals up. As Harry Dancaster intercepted a Chiddingfold through ball he looked up and seeing Leo in space played a great ball for Leo to finally score his first 2-0.

With the first half coming to an end a Chiddingfold long ball was looking to be cleared by Isaac Denton – Miller in goal. As Isaac came out he slipped letting the forward just beat him to the ball to loft it over into and empty net. 2-1. End of the half with Cranleigh 2-1 up despite all the pressure and chances. Worst news followed as in the act of scoring the Chiddingfold player had caught Isaac with his raised boot and he could no longer continue. Very bravely and with a small amount of player pressure Dylan Bishop volunteered to go in goal.

The second half started a lot more evenly as Chiddingold pushed forward for an equaliser. Yet again the Cranleigh defence stood firm tackling and winning most balls. With 20 minutes gone we needed to kill the game off as we started to again dominate. Ethan won the ball yet again in midfield and laid Leo up for his 2nd goal with a pass between the defenders which Leo finished off 3-1. A minute later it was 4-1 as this time Charlie Gibson set up Leo for his hatrick 4-1. Chiddingfold kept battling but Dylan in goal managed to keep them out with the help of his defence. Just time for Ethan Payne to turn on the edge of the box to curl a shot which clipped the bar. Final score 4-1 and a fantastic first half from Cranleigh as they played the best football of the season and could of been 8-0 up at half time. Chiddingfold had 2-3 chances all game Jack Westerman and Buster Boomer superb against the vaunted Chiddingfold attack.

Leo Lord -3
Charlie Gibson-1

Men of the match
Ethan Payne – dominant and in the refs words bossed it , deserved a goal
Charlie Gibson – Chiddingfolds defence had no answer to his skills