South Surrey Final

South Surrey Finals day at Dorkings Meadowbank Stadium against Croygas
Having narrowly beaten us at home earlier in the season Croygas were very confident of victory.
Cranleigh started very strongly and were all over Croygas from the first whistle.
After 3 minutes great pressing by Sullivan Howick and Ethan Payne in the Croygas corner led to Leo Lord winning the ball and as the defenders closed on him he calmly passed across the box to Charlie Gibson who smashed home for 1-0.

A great start and all down to the willingness to press and win the ball. Another chance 2 minutes later with a shot from Archie Burge just wide. From a Sullivan Howick corner after 10 minutes Charlie Gibson scored his and our 2nd as he ghosted in at the far post to stroke the ball home 2-0. At this point it was all Cranleigh as Dylan Bishop intercepted the ball at full back and drove at the heart of their defence beating 3 players and almost added a 3rd. Croygas started to come into the game and a great save by Isaac Denton – Miller kept it at 2-0

A Croygas through ball left their forward 1v1 with Isaac who bravely dived at his feet and was absolutely clattered as the forward didn’t stop and just smashed straight into our keeper.
Personally I do think if it wasent a final it could of been a red card .
We really were under pressure now and yet another great save by Isaac Denton – Miller who was having a great game. As the half was coming to an end with Croygas well on top a goal saving tackle by Isaac Holt as the Croygas player had the goal at his mercy meant we went into half time 2-0 up.
After being under the hammer for the last 15 minutes of the half it was a chance to reassess ,take on water and make a few changes.

At half time it was stressed tio the players how important the next goal was .
Less than 2 minutes into the half Leo Lord chased a long ball which the defender looked favourite to win. Leo harried the defender into a mistake , won the ball turned to goal and beat the keeper for 3-0.
However Croygas weren’t going to lie down and let us win . With a freekick 25 yards out the Croygas player scored in off the post with a fantastic freekick 3-1.
Back came Cranleigh as a ball was played up to Leo who held it up before laying a perfect ball for Jack Rogers to take on and score for 4-1.
A carbon copy goal 5 minutes later as Leo again won a ball he had no right to win and set Jack up for a second 5-1.
Yet again Croygas came back at us and a great piece of individual skill in our box led to another goal 5-2.

The game was very end to end now as both teams started to tire on a big pitch and a hot day.
Some great last ditch tackles by Harry Dancaster and Alistair Hill were keeping Croygas out while at the other end Cranleigh had good efforts from Harry Dancaster and Sulivan Howick
A Sullivan Howick header was collected by leo before he yet again put Jack Rogers through to score our 6th and Jacks 3rd goal 6-1.
Jack Rogers had a late chance for his 4th with a 1v1 with the keeper who produced a good save.
The last goal of the game fell to Croygas with a strike from the edge of the area for 6-3.

Final whistle and a 6-3 win to a very exhausted Cranleigh team who had given everything.
An amazing team performance in a Final we weren’t fancied to win but Cranleigh worked so hard all game pressing the ball and never letting the Croygas players time .

Jack Rogers – 3
Charlie Gibson – 2
Leo Lord – 1

Man of the Match
Leo Lord 4 assists and a goal the perfect centre forward display . Croygas defenders will be having nightmares for weeks